Coastal Property Values Rising

Bangor Daily News

Coastal Maine towns like Rockland, Belfast, and Bucksport are facing steep property value increases after long-delayed revaluations, reflecting post-pandemic real estate jumps. While revaluations aim to distribute tax burdens more fairly, they can cause sudden tax hikes that strain fixed- and low-income homeowners, sometimes prompting sales or fears of losing homes.

In Belfast, values rose sharply—especially along the waterfront—while Bucksport residents reported tax bills doubling or tripling in recent years. The loss of large industrial taxpayers, like paper mills, has shifted more of the tax load to residential owners.

Maine municipalities, already struggling with inflation, school funding requirements, and wage costs, rely heavily on property taxes. State funding formulas further reduce school subsidies when property values rise. While the state offers exemptions like the homestead deduction, past attempts at broader relief—such as freezing taxes for seniors—have been repealed due to high costs.

Some residents are pushing for political change, including recalls of local officials. Town leaders say revaluations are necessary to keep values aligned with the market and ensure financial stability, but many fear they are taxing people out of their homes. The state has formed a task force to study possible reforms, though long-term solutions remain uncertain.

More people are selling their 2nd homes in Maine

It’s still far from clear whether the changes in the market will persist or that the recession fears will come true. Maine home values have leveled off over the past year compared with earlier in the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Zillow. In a recession, the lack of supply here could lead prices to hover longer before falling, according to a recent Realtor.com outlook.

Source: Bangor Daily News

Maine’s high court upholds town ownership of beach in Kennebunkport

map

Maine’s highest court has ruled that the town of Kennebunkport owns Goose Rocks Beach, possibly ending a decade-old legal battle over ownership and control of the 2-mile stretch of oceanfront.

The 42-page ruling traces control of the beach back to the colonial period and dismisses arguments made by nearly two dozen beachfront property owners that ownership of the beach had effectively reverted to neighbors rather than to the public.

“Therefore, on the record before us, and in the absence of any evidence suggesting that the disputed land was conveyed into private ownership, we affirm the holding of the trial court that in the unique circumstances of this case, legal title to the disputed land seaward of the seawall, including the beach, is held by the Town of Kennebunkport for the benefit of the public,” the ruling says.

Source:  Portland Press Herald

New zoning in Portland to address sea level rise

map

City planners are proposing new zoning rules for flood-prone areas of Portland in an effort to encourage developers to design buildings with sea level rise in mind.

The proposed Coastal Resiliency Overlay Zone would allow developers to build taller buildings in those areas if they prove the additional height is being used to prepare for sea level rise and storm surges associated with a changing climate.

“This overlay would incentivize property owners and developers who wish to build in parts of the city that face increasing threat from flooding to make their buildings resilient to flooding,” Sustainability Coordinator Troy Moon said in a memo to the Planning Board, which will review the proposal Tuesday.

Source: Portland Press Herald

Company admits wrongful foreclosures in Maine

Ocwen Financial Corporation will refund or credit 24 Maine residents more than $50,000 in attorney’s fees they were assessed when their homes were foreclosed upon, and the company will pay $24,000 in civil penalties and $10,000 in investigative costs to the state of Maine, as part of a Consent Agreement signed last week.

Ocwen is a national provider of loan servicing for lenders. It is headquartered in Florida and has offices in several states. In its Consent Agreement with Maine’s Bureau of Consumer Credit Protection and Attorney General, Ocwen admitted that after July 2014 it pursued foreclosures against Maine homeowners based on paperwork which the state found to be legally defective.

Source: WAGMTV

Mills Vetoes Bill To Limit CMP’s Ability To Seize Private Land 

A bill that would limit Central Maine Power’s ability to seize land for its proposed 145-mile transmission project has failed following a veto by Democratic Gov. Janet Mills.

The House voted 79-64 to override the governor’s veto, well short of the two-thirds support needed to keep the bill alive.

The proposal would have changed state law that allows utilities to seize private land and bypass municipal governments for infrastructure projects.

Source: Maine Public

New Gloucester residents oppose Sabbathday Lake dock plan

The Planning Board on Tuesday heard from a dozen residents opposed to a 70-foot, T-shaped dock proposed by Sabbathday Lake Shores developer Alan Hamilton of Gray.

To get a sense of what it would look like, a group of lakeside property owners recently delineated the area using styrofoam noodles and other items to create a mock 70-foot dock that stretched from the shore and attached to a 35-foot wide dock sitting perpendicular to it.

When the Planning Board arrived to inspect the site last week, Chairman Don Libby canceled the visit because he wanted “an unbiased” look at the site without the mock-up.

Source:  Lewiston Sun Journal

 Business and Labor Groups Support Of The CMP Transmission Project 

A coalition of business and labor groups has come out in support of a controversial proposed 145-mile transmission line through Western Maine.

The group, calling itself Mainers for Clean Energy Jobs, includes the Maine State Chamber of Commerce, labor unions and the construction firm Cianbro. The group is receiving funding from the Maine Chamber of Commerce. The proposed line would deliver electricity from a Hydro Quebec dam system through Maine to customers in Canada.

.

Source: Maine Public

Portland seeks broker to jump-start business park

The sound of vehicles on the Maine Turnpike has yet to be supplanted by the hum of industry at the Portland Technology Park off Rand Road.Yet as the city seeks bids from real estate companies to broker sales for three vacant lots at the site, Economic Development Director Greg Mitchell said the purpose of the park remains unchanged.
“I still believe the original vision should be maintained,” Mitchell said April 20. “We are going to test the waters and see who would be interested and how they might approach marketing differently.
”Bids are scheduled to be opened May 3. City records show five companies have asked for information, including the Dunham Group, which markets the lots now.

Source: The Forecaster